Polen Perspectives: Opportunity Beyond Borders
Watch as Daniel Fields, Polen International Growth Portfolio Manager, shares perspectives on the equity investment opportunities Polen Capital sees around the globe.
In this mid-year webinar, Polen International Growth Portfolio Manager Daniel Fields shares his thoughts on tailwinds he thinks will support international growth, often-overlooked unique businesses outside of the U.S., and trends to watch for in 2023 and beyond.
Webinar Q&A Highlights
- Opening remarks (0:14)
- Polen’s international growth philosophy and fundamental research process (1:22)
- Challenges facing international markets over the past decade (2:50)
- Why we believe international markets are poised for sustained growth in the years ahead (3:27)
- Debunking the misperception that international businesses are of lower quality (6:05)
- How inflation has impacted different regions globally (9:10)
- Example of how companies like Mercado Libre in Argentina have thrived despite significant inflation and political crisis (10:48)
- Polen international growth portfolio company examples that illustrate our convictions (12:17)
- Is it possible to find high-quality businesses in emerging markets? (17:10)
- Compelling European-based companies that operate in emerging markets (18:43)
- Drivers impacting the exposure of the portfolio to different geographic markets (21:03)
- Companies like ICON that Polen owns in Europe that benefit from global, secular trends (24:13)
- Does onshoring and nearshoring impact Polen’s portfolio? (27:44)
- Global companies that we think are well-positioned to capitalize on AI trends (30:12)
- How would Polen’s portfolio perform in an economic recession? (33:11)
- Closing (34:39)
Our aim is to create a portfolio of roughly 20 to 30 of the highest-quality, most competitively advantaged companies that we can find outside the United States.
—Daniel Fields, Polen International Growth Portfolio Manager
This is being provided for informational purposes only. Opinions and views expressed constitute the judgment of Polen Capital as of June 13, 2023 may involve a number of assumptions and estimates which are not guaranteed, and are subject to change without notice. Although the information and any opinions or views given have been obtained from or based on sources believed to be reliable, no warranty or representation is made as to their correctness, completeness, or accuracy. Opinions, estimates, forecasts, and statements of financial market trends that are based on current market conditions constitute our judgment and are subject to change without notice, including any forward-looking estimates or statements which are based on certain expectations and assumptions. The views and strategies described may not be suitable for all clients. References to specific securities, asset classes and financial markets are for illustrative purposes only and are not intended to be, and should not be interpreted as, recommendations. This document does not identify all the risks (direct or indirect) or other considerations which might be material when entering any financial transaction.
Past performance is not indicative of future results and profitable results cannot be guaranteed. This information should not be construed as a recommendation to purchase, hold, or sell any particular security. Specific securities described may or may not be held in portfolios managed by Polen Capital. There is no assurance that any securities discussed herein will be in the portfolio at the time you review this video or that any securities sold have not been repurchased. The securities discussed do not necessarily represent the entire portfolio. It should not be assumed that any of the securities, transactions or holdings discussed were or will prove to be profitable or that any investment recommendations we make in the future will equal the investment performance of the securities discussed herein. For a complete list of Polen Capital’s past specific recommendations for the last year, please contact [email protected].