Polen Capital CEO Stan Moss joined David Horsager, host of the Trusted Leader Show, to discuss leadership strategies and how to create a “high-trust” culture.
- Intentionality is the key to a healthy culture. Stan discusses how Polen Capital evolved from a “command and control” leadership style to one that prizes autonomy and trust. But culture change doesn’t just happen on its own – leaders must be intentional about it.
- What you measure is what gets done. When there is clarity and rigor on key performance indicators (KPIs), employees know what success looks like and understand what they need to do. If they fall off track, it’s incumbent on their managers to provide coaching and guidance.
- Communicate frequently. Skilled leaders reinforce important messages with consistency and repetition. Stan describes how he and the Polen leadership team put this into practice.
- Learning is a competitive advantage. Stan explains the importance of continuous learning, which leads to mastery and humility.
- Taking time to care for yourself can drive better outcomes. Effective leadership means carving out time to be your best self. Stan describes his daily routine, which includes physical exercise and uninterrupted time to think and plan.
Learning compounds, just like interest compounds.
—Stan C. Moss, Chief Executive Officer
Please note that this document is a condensed summary of the full interview conducted by David Horsager.
This information is provided for illustrative purposes only. Opinions and views expressed in this podcast are as of November 2022 and may involve a number of assumptions and estimates which are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice or update. Although the information and any opinions or views given have been obtained from or based on sources believed to be reliable, no warranty or representation is made as to their correctness, completeness, or accuracy. Opinions, estimates, forecasts, and statements of financial market trends that are based on current market conditions constitute our judgment and are subject to change without notice, including any forward-looking estimates or statements which are based on certain expectations and assumptions. The views and strategies described may not be suitable for all clients. This document does not identify all the risks (direct or indirect) or other considerations which might be material to you when entering any financial transaction.